NorthConnex opening date revealed
Sydney’s newest motorway, NorthConnex, will be open to drivers from Saturday 31 October.
The $3 billion mega-project will be a game changer for motorists, reducing travel times by up to 15 minutes and allowing drivers to avoid 21 sets of traffic lights along Pennant Hills Road.
More than 17,000 people have been involved in delivering NorthConnex since major construction began.
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said NorthConnex is designed to the highest safety standards, built and fitted with the latest technology to keep drivers safe.
“NorthConnex is Australia’s deepest road tunnel, reaching 90 metres underground at its lowest point. With construction complete, the final commissioning has almost wrapped up, with more than 50,000 tests and checks done so far to ensure the motorway is ready to open,” Ms Berejiklian said.
Federal Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure Alan Tudge said the final checks are almost complete on the twin, nine kilometre tunnels.
“This is one of the most significant and eagerly anticipated road infrastructure projects ever delivered in Australia,” Mr Tudge said.
“It has not only provided thousands of jobs for Sydney, but will change the way people travel across the city.”
New South Wales Minister for Transport and Roads Andrew Constance said NorthConnex will also feature the latest in tunnel technology, including 24/7 monitoring.
“NorthConnex will be the first road tunnel in Australia to include innovative lighting features, including trees, starscapes and birds, aimed at keeping drivers engaged. Testing is being conducted on systems we’ve never seen in any other tunnel in Australia.
“Local communities are also looking forward to the tunnel opening, with up to 5,000 trucks a day to be removed from Pennant Hills Road, regularly voted one of the most congested roads in NSW.”
NorthConnex is expected to open in the early hours of Saturday 31 October, once the final safety checks have been completed.
Electronic message signs will be updated to inform motorists of the opening date.
Minister Tudge – Michael Bennett 0434 782 923
Minister Constance – Mia Burns 0455 338 762