Australia Council Board appointments
The Morrison Government has made two reappointments and five new appointments to the Australia Council Board.
Ms Tina Arena AM and Mr Leigh Carmichael have been reappointed for three-year terms, and both continue to bring extensive arts and cultural sector experience to the Board.
The five new appointed Board members are as follows:
- Stephen Found is a co-owner of Foundation Theatres, which operates two of Sydney’s commercial theatres, the Capitol Theatre and Sydney Lyric Theatre. He has worked in the theatre industry in Australia and internationally for over 40 years, is a former member of the Creative Partnerships Australia Board and brings strong governance and arts sector experience to the Board.
- Marie-Louise Theile was an award-winning journalist and television presenter. She has over 20 years experience in print and electronic media in Australia and in New York. Ms Theile was a former Chair of the Institute of Modern Art, is the Creative Director at New Initiative and has been on the Australian Chamber Orchestra Brisbane Event Committee since 1999.
- The Hon Donald (Don) Harwin was the NSW Minister for the Public Service and Employee Relations, Aboriginal Affairs and the Arts, and a member of the NSW Legislative Council from March 1999 to March 2022. He was the Vice Patron of the Commonwealth Day Council of NSW and Board Member of the NSW State Archives and Records.
- Philip Watkins is currently the Chief Executive Officer of Desart in the Northern Territory and brings strong visual arts sector and governance experience to the Board. He is a Board Member of the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, Deputy Chairperson of The Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair Foundation and is a member of the Ministerial Creative Industries Advisory Council (NT).
- Alexandra (Alex) Dimos brings strong governance and executive experience to the Board. She is the Managing Director of Nunn Family Investments and the Nunn Dimos Foundation, a director on the State Theatre Company of SA Board and Foundation and an Executive Director of the Advertiser Foundation. She has a background in geology and was the Founder and Director of the environmental company, Flow Environmental Management.
Minister for Communications, Urban Infrastructure, Cities and the Arts, the Hon Paul Fletcher MP, congratulated the appointees and noted their skills, experience and knowledge will be an asset to the Australia Council Board.
“I look forward to seeing the valuable contribution these individuals will make to the Australia Council’s leadership as it continues to support the creative and cultural sector rebound from the challenges of COVID-19,” Minister Fletcher said.
The Australia Council is the Australian Government’s principal arts funding body. It has a focus on increasing the visibility of Australia’s vibrant arts and culture sector. The Council is also committed to the arts being accessible to all Australians.
For more information visit: www.australiacouncil.gov.au
Imre Salusinszky | 0432 535 737 | Imre.Salusinszky@communications.gov.au