Construction starts on busy Lower Don Road
06 June 2017
Joint release with:
Member for Dawson
- Construction begins on Bowen's Lower Don Road upgrade
- The project will support the region's economy while also improving road safety on the local road network
- Australian Government is fully funding the $3.7 million project
Works will begin this week at the busy intersection of Lower Don Road and the Bruce Highway, north of Bowen.
Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester said this $3.7 million Australian Government funded Bruce Highway Black Spot project will provide important safety enhancements on this busy section of the Bruce Highway.
“The Bruce Highway remains one of the most dangerous highways in Australia, and upgrading this intersection will help reduce the number of fatalities and crashes on this section of road,” Mr Chester said.
“Delivery of this project has been brought forward to improve infrastructure and generate job opportunities in North and Central Queensland.”
Federal Member for Dawson George Christensen said he was delighted to see the next milestone reached, with this section of the Bruce Highway servicing major tourism and agricultural areas in the region.
“The upgrade will reduce the likelihood of crashes by providing a separate right turn lane from the Bruce Highway into Lower Don Road, travelling north towards Ayr, and a separate left turn lane from the Bruce Highway into Lower Don Road, travelling south to Bowen,” Mr Christensen said.
“The upgrade will provide important safety enhancements on a busy stretch of the Bruce Highway that services major tourism and agricultural areas.
“Lower Don Road provides access to the industrial area of Bowen and this upgrade will improve the route for heavy vehicles travelling to the area and associated depots.”
Construction on the Lower Don Road upgrade, announced in December last year, is expected to be completed in late 2017.
This Black Spot funding is in addition to the $230,000 announced last month to fix two local black spots, one in Herbert Street, and the second at the intersection of Woodlands, Lower Don and Flemington Roads, and Russells Crossing.
Lower Don Road will be closed for three weeks from Monday 12 June 2017—the Bruce Highway will remain open to two lanes of traffic with speed restrictions in place.
The Lower Don Road upgrade is fully funded by the Australian Government through its $241.8 million Bruce Highway—Black Spots Programme.