Rubber to hit the road as 'HEART4' launched
Heart of Australia has been boosted with a new DAF XF 350 about to hit the road to deliver specialist medical treatment in regional, rural, and remote communities across Queensland.
Federal Member for Wright and Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport, Scott Buchholz joined Dr Rolf Gomes and Minister for Regional Health, Mark Coulton to launch HEART4 – a DAF XF 530 Prime Mover.
Speaking at the launch, Minister Buchholz paid tribute to Dr Gomes, his sponsors, staff, and supporters – as well as those across the transport industry that had made a significant contribution to Heart of Australia.
“The work of the Heart of Australia organisation, staff, sponsors and supporters has been critical to its success, survival and thriving contribution to the preventative health of those in remote Australia.
“Dr Gomes is a great Australian, his vision and commitment for Heart of Australia is breaking the grip of distance that denies those in rural and remote areas access to services when and where they are needed most,” Mr Buchholz said.
Heart of Australia delivers services in regional Queensland, including Dalby, Goondiwindi, Stanthorpe, St George, Charleville, Roma, Emerald, Barcaldine, Longreach, Hughenden, Charters Towers, Moranbah, Cloncurry, Blackall and Quilpie.
Minister Buchholz thanked the transport sector for the significant contribution being made to Heart of Australia.
“This new Prime Mover will pull a B-double configuration, that is the HEART4 specialist unit. The transport of the unit has been made possible by PACCAR Australia providing a critical contribution – the new Prime Mover.
“PACCAR this year celebrated the manufacturing of their 70,000th truck here in Australia and it is great to see they are giving back to our community in such a generous way,” Minister Buchholz said.
“I also acknowledge the enormous support offered by Frasers Transport and Ross Fraser in particular.
“To the Fraser family, and I say family because that includes the staff – thank you for your work, for your investment of time and money in Heart of Australia, it makes a great difference to those in remote Australia and to Heart of Australia staying on the road.
“Frasers Transport have made staff available, the yards available and access to drivers. On behalf of the transport sector I say thank you, you are a great role model and making the transport sector proud,” Mr Buchholz said.
Mr Buchholz acknowledged the staff at Heart of Australia, who do what they do every day – not in the interest of financial gain but because of their passion for people, preventative health and social responsible to regional communities.
In 2019, Heart of Australia Founder and cardiologist, Dr Rolf Gomes, joined Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt MP in Mackay to announce a $12 million, three-year Federal Government funding commitment to Heart of Australia.
- Heart of Australia is the brainchild of Brisbane-based cardiologist and engineer Dr Rolf Gomes
- The service has been delivering care to the following towns on a regular basis: Dalby, Goondiwindi, Stanthorpe, St George, Charleville, Roma, Emerald, Barcaldine, Winton, Longreach, Hughenden, Charters Towers, Moranbah, Cloncurry, Blackall, Middlemount, Biloela, Banana, Moura, Theodore, Childers, and Quilpie.
- The 6 new towns to be serviced from mid-2020 by the newly funded HEART 4 mobile clinic are: Sarina, Proserpine, Ayr and Cooktown with Palm Island and Weipa via static clinics.
- Heart of Australia has seen more than 9,000 patients since it started in October 2014.
- Heart of Australia has saved around 400 lives since its inception until early 2020.
- Heart of Australia has delivered more than 35,000 episodes of care.
- Heart of Australia cardiology diagnostic equipment includes: Cardiac stress testing – treadmills, ultrasound, ECG monitoring, 24-hour heart monitoring, Cardiac ultrasound, sleep apnoea testing and fitting of devices, respiratory function testing and 24-hour blood pressure monitoring.
- The customized road trains – specialist medical clinic-on-wheels – has travelled more than 150,000km on the road covering an area of more than 450,000 square kilometres.