Growing stronger regions across Victoria
13 July 2015
Joint release with:
Victorian Minister for Regional Development
The Australian and Victorian Governments have today announced the Chair and Deputy Chair appointments to Regional Development Australia (RDA) committees across Victoria.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development Warren Truss said the three-year appointments will provide leadership to RDA committees to drive economic growth and make the most of the potential capability of their region.
“RDA committees play a key role in growing stronger regions across the nation and ensure all three tiers of government work together,” Mr Truss said.
“The committees advise on priority activities that have the capacity to unlock regional economic development and improve the productivity of their region.
“RDA committees will provide advice to the Government on critical issues affecting each region and are an important mechanism to increase access to Australian Government programmes in their communities.
“The committees will also assist local community stakeholders to develop project proposals and direct them to appropriate public and/or private funding sources—including the $1 billion National Stronger Regions Fund.”
Victorian Minister for Regional Development Jaala Pulford said the appointments were good news for regional communities across the state.
“The RDA Committees play a crucial role in connecting all three tiers of government with the business sector and local communities to help identify project priorities and funding opportunities,” Ms Pulford said.
“The new Chair and Deputy Chair appointments will ensure Victoria's RDA Committees are best placed to continue to work with the Andrews Labor Government to help drive economic growth, create jobs and grow our regional and rural communities.”
The following individuals have been appointed as Chairs and Deputy Chairs:
- RDA Barwon South West—Mr Bruce Anson (Chair); Mr Peter Dorling (Deputy)
- RDA Gippsland—Mr Richard Elkington (Chair); Mr Timothy Weight (Deputy)
- RDA Grampians—Mr Stuart Benjamin (Chair); Mrs Justine Linley (Deputy)
- RDA Hume—Mrs Janelle Boynton (Chair); Ms Susan Benedyka (Deputy)
- RDA Loddon Mallee—Ms Linda Beilharz OAM (Chair); Cr Stuart McLean (Deputy)
- RDA Melbourne East—Mr Stephen Kozlowski (Chair); Dr Andrea Diamond (Deputy)
- RDA Northern Melbourne—Mr Robert McQuillen (Chair); Dr Anne Badenhorst (Deputy)
- RDA Southern Melbourne—Mr Garry McQuillan (Chair); Ms Faith FitzGerald (Deputy)
- RDA West Melbourne—Mr William Jaboor (Chair); Mr William Noonan OAM (Deputy)
Regional Development Australia consists of a national network of 55 committees designed to strongly focus on regional economic development and facilitate local projects that aim to make a difference in their local communities.
The Chair and Deputy Chair will now move promptly to appoint a team of active local community leaders to support them.
Mr Truss and Ms Pulford thanked retiring committee Chairs and members for their service and wished the new committees well as they work to deliver stronger local regions.