Growing stronger regions across Queensland
27 January 2015
The Australian Government has today announced the Chair and Deputy Chair appointments to Regional Development Australia (RDA) committees across Queensland.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development Warren Truss said the three-year appointments will provide leadership to RDA committees to drive economic growth and make the most of the potential capability of their region.
“The RDA committees can play a key role in growing stronger regions across the nation and ensure all three tiers of government work together,” Mr Truss said.
"The committees will advise on priority activities that will unlock regional economic development and improve the productivity of their region.
“RDA committees will provide advice to the Government on critical issues affecting each region and are an important mechanism to increase access to Australian Government programmes in their communities.
“The committees will also assist local community stakeholders to develop project proposals and direct them to appropriate public and/or private funding sources—including the $1 billion National Stronger Regions Fund.”
The following individuals have been appointed as Chairs and Deputy Chairs:
- RDA Brisbane—Mr Shane Fracchia (Chair); Dr Patricia Rowe (Deputy)
- RDA Darling Downs and South West—Cr Vic Pennisi (Chair); Mr Neville Stewart OAM (Deputy)
- RDA Far North QLD and Torres Strait—Prof Allan Dale (Chair); Cr William Shannon (Co-Deputy); Miss Bronwyn Voyce (Co-Deputy)
- RDA Fitzroy and Central West—Mr Kym Mobbs (Chair); Mr John Lever (Deputy)
- RDA Gold Coast—Mr Craig Devlin (Chair); Mr William Turner (Deputy)
- RDA Ipswich and West Moreton—Ms Katherine Bensted (Chair); Mr Michael Krafft (Deputy)
- RDA Logan and Redlands—Mr Robert Hannaford (Chair); Mrs Laurie Koranski (Deputy)
- RDA Mackay-Isaac-Whitsunday—Mr Graham Smith (Chair); Mr Darryl Camilleri (Deputy)
- RDA Moreton Bay—Mr Shane Newcombe (Chair); Mr Noel Powell (Deputy)
- RDA Sunshine Coast—Mr Anthony Riddle (Chair); Mrs Feda Adra (Deputy)
- RDA Townsville and North West—Mr Paul Woodhouse (Chair); Mrs Lynette McLaughlin (Deputy)
- RDA Wide Bay Burnett—Mr William Trevor OAM (Chair); Mr Daniel Poacher (Deputy)
Regional Development Australia consists of a national network of 55 committees designed to strongly focus on regional economic development and facilitate local projects that aim to make a difference in their local communities.
The Chair and Deputy Chair will now move promptly to appoint a team of active local community leaders to support them.
Mr Truss thanked retiring committee Chairs and members for their service and wished the new committees well as they work to deliver stronger local regions.