All systems go for Glenorchy Straight safety works

Media Release


22 December 2014

Joint release with:

Andrew Powell

Acting Minister for Transport and Main Roads

Anne Maddern

Member for Maryborough

$5.2 million will be invested in vital safety upgrades on the Glenorchy Straight section of the Bruce Highway, with pavements to be widened and improvements made at the intersection of the highway and Old Gympie and Eight Mile Roads.

Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development and Member for Wide Bay Warren Truss said the Australian Government would meet 80 per cent of the cost, with Queensland meeting the remaining 20 per cent.

“These intersections have been the focus of local lobby groups following a number of accidents and fatalities, and we are acting on those concerns,” Mr Truss said.

“The road pavement will be widened to 11 metres on approximately two kilometres of the highway, which will enable the installation of a wide centre median. New protected turning lanes will also be built at the intersections of the highway and Old Gympie Road and Eight Mile Roads.”

Mr Truss said upcoming safety works in the wider region also included a $38 million upgrade to the Tinana Interchange, which will include a new overpass, with design tenders expected to be called in mid-2015.

Queensland Acting Minister for Transport and Main Roads Andrew Powell said the works will be part of the Bruce Highway—Pavement Widening programme.

“We are a strong team with a strong plan to provide a higher level of safety for all motorists on this section of the highway,” Mr Powell said.

Member for Maryborough Anne Maddern welcomed the upcoming works on the Glenorchy Straight.

“Wider medians and audible tactile line markings along the straight will help alert drivers if they veer to close to the centre of the road, reducing the risk of collisions,” Mrs Maddern said.

“The community has been working hard to make sure these upgrades happen, and today is a celebration of our combined efforts.”

The Australian Government has committed more than $4.1 million towards the Glenorchy Straight project, with the Queensland Government contributing the remaining $1.1 million.

Overall, the Australian Government's Infrastructure Investment Programme is providing a record $13.4 billion to build Queensland's Infrastructure.