Appointment of Norfolk Island Advisory Council Chair
04 June 2015
I am pleased to announce that Ms Melissa Ward has been appointed as Chair of the Norfolk Island Advisory Council.
Melissa Ward's leadership, governance and community engagement skills will be of great benefit for the people of Norfolk Island and ensure the reform process is inclusive and reflects the unique requirements of this very special part of Australia.
The Norfolk Island Advisory Council will play a critical role in representing the local community and in shaping the future governance model for Norfolk Island. I will be seeking advice from the Council on the following key issues.
- The Norfolk Island Regional Council model.
- The transition of Norfolk Island Administration staff to the Norfolk Island Regional Council.
- The phasing in of state law, keeping in mind the need to prioritise economic development, community safety and sustainable government while responding to the unique circumstances on Norfolk Island.
The Australian Government will continue to actively engage with the local community to ensure all residents are well informed and have a strong voice during the transition period.
Reforms to Norfolk Island will improve service delivery, boost economic growth and ensure local residents have access to the same level of essential services and entitlements as those residing on the mainland and other external territories.
The Australian Government is already working to improve Norfolk Island's infrastructure with WorleyParsons Services Limited progressing upgrades to the Cascade Jetty and developing a comprehensive road strategy to deliver significant improvements to the island's road system.
The remaining appointments for the Advisory Council will soon be announced so we can keep working to build a stronger and more prosperous future for the people of Norfolk Island.
For information about the Norfolk Island reforms, visit
Ms Melissa Ward—curriculum vitae
- MLA—Norfolk Island Legislative Assembly—March 2010—Present (5 years 5 months)
- Member of the Immigration Committee 2010–2013
- Member of the Social Services Committee 2010–2014
- Chair of the Norfolk Island Education Review 2013/14
- Member of the Commonwealth Women's Parliamentarian's Association Regional Steering Committee for Norfolk Island 2014/2015
- Founding member of the Norfolk Island Mental Health Support Group—2012