New heavy vehicle rest area for the Hume, north of Albury

Media Release

DC188/2016

17 November 2016

Joint release with:

Duncan Gay

NSW Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight

Greg Aplin

NSW Member for Albury

Sussan Ley

Federal Member for Farrer

  • Work begins on new Murlo rest area 40 kilometres north of Albury
  • The facility will improve safety by targeting driver fatigue, catering for short and long stays

The Australian and New South Wales governments continue to invest in a safer Hume Highway, with work underway on a new rest area around 40 kilometres north of Albury.

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester said the new Murlo Rest Area, near Mullengandra, was part of a $6.2 million project jointly funded under the Heavy Vehicle Safety and Productivity Programme.

“The programme invests in improving road safety and reducing the number of truck-related incidents by targeting driver fatigue,” Mr Chester said.

“This is just one example of the Australian Government investing in critical road infrastructure, in partnership with state, territory and local governments, to help save lives on the nation's roads.”

New South Wales Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight Duncan Gay said with freight movements along the Hume Highway set to increase, the new rest area had been designed for the future, with parking for up to 20 B-doubles.

“The new rest area will have a separate parking area for light vehicles, with six standard parking bays and one disabled parking bay, ensuring all motorists benefit from this investment,” Mr Gay said.

“There will also be an amenities block with picnic tables and landscaping throughout the site.”

Federal Member for Farrer Sussan Ley said the project was expected to take about five months to complete.

“Work starts from today and will continue Monday to Friday between 7am and 6pm, and from 8am to 1pm on Saturdays, with estimated completion by mid-April next year,” Ms Ley said.

“When finished, this new facility will make a huge difference to the productivity and safety for all drivers using the northbound lanes of the Hume Highway, giving them an area for either a short or long stay.”

New South Wales Member for Albury Greg Aplin said works would be suspended during the Christmas and New Year period, from 23 December to 9 January next year, with both lanes open and free of reduced speed limits from 16 December.

“We recognise the importance of ensuring the best possible flow of holiday traffic through the area. We thank all road users for their patience and safe driving as this important safety and productivity upgrade for the region is delivered,” Mr Aplin said.